Sunday, June 27, 2010

Impotent Rage

I was watching the Rachel Maddow show the other day and it occurred to me that shows like this fills the viewer with a sense of impotent rage. Rage because the viewer is incensed by the outrageous activities of an individual or group of individuals (BP for example). Impotent because, even knowing exactly what's going on, and even who's to blame, there's literally nothing that we, as individuals, can do about it.

Recently, I spoke with a buddy of mine who was talking about the Enron scandal and other scandals similar to it. He was convinced that people needed to know what had happened so as to keep it from happening again.

I fervently disagreed. My point was this: Even if everybody on the planet knows what happened and who's to blame (which I think they do), the people who can actually do something about it (the government) never will. It's not in their best interests to legislate a solution because most of them are either directly involved, or involved in something equally scandalous. They know that anything they do now will likely come back to bite them in the ass in the future.

Therefore, what is the point in becoming aware of the atrocities, crimes, and misdeeds of people in power? The knowledge alone will garner you nothing - and the rage you feel will be exacerbated by the fact that you are powerless to affect the situation.

So, your choices are simple: Ignorant Bliss or Impotent Rage. Guess which one will help you sleep at night?

I think I'll go back to Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert - I can use a good chuckle. Sorry, Rachel.

3 comments:

Fred said...

I had to walk away from 2012 apocalypse predictions for the same reason. I used to get myself pretty worked up and worried over such things, but I no longer feel that way now. I figure everyone's got to die someday, and it might as well be in an interesting disaster rather than a heart attack. I do love my cheese fries, though, so heart attack might win out.

Rotten Kid #2 said...

I have a horrible obsession with the need to know... I guess that's where the snooping comes into play... but not so much with the politics. I've been having a hard time getting into politics anymore cause I don't think it matters who you go for anyways, they all suck...
either that or I just don't have

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.